03 December 2007

Someone call Social Services

I have to say I was a little worried all last week as Erika went off to school. I was worried I would be receiving a call from the nurse or her teacher saying we needed to have a little meeting. I guess I should tell you how it all began....

On Monday night Carson was chasing Erika all around the house and she was dodging and squealing. She just couldn't seem to get away. Finally, in desperation, she jumped over the back of the couch (a BIG no, no in our house) and slipped as she landed. Instead of catching herself with her hands she seemed to land directly on the right side of her face. Now, I only heard the squealing and the "THUD", she didn't even cry for a few minutes. As the shock wore off she shed a few tears and decided that Mom actually had a good reason for not wanting kids to jump over the couch. It really didn't look that bad - just barely swollen. We applied ice and she looked better by bedtime.

The next morning her eye looked swollen and a little discolored. (photo number 1) I told her to tell her teacher what happened if she asks, but not to make a big deal of it. Of course, when she comes home she tells me she told her teacher, who told the nurse, who gave her an ice pack and lots of sympathy. Day two it looked even worse, purple and puffy. The pictures don't really do it justice. (Sorry they are so poor - they are from my phone).




The real kicker in all of this isn't so much the black-eye... The problem is that it comes only two short weeks after she had her wrist taken out of a splint from a pretty bad sprain! (Received on a play-date at a friend's house while playing in the backyard.) In today's hyper-sensitive environment you never know when Social Services will show up for a little "visit". After a long talk about being extra-careful about getting hurt so mommy doesn't have to go to jail, we are hoping she will have a little better luck over the next few weeks.

Other than that we had a fabulous thanksgiving with friends and this past weekend Dan was home almost all weekend! We were able to get caught up on a few things and were also able to get up our Christmas tree! Carson was really excited to help get the lights and decorations on the tree. I feel a little spoiled at having him home so much and I'm not ready to send him back to the wolves!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

ohhh poor Erika. I have these things happen with Andrew all the time. One of these days they are going to question me

Bingy's blog said...

She is still so gorgeous!!
Inger

cjdustin said...

So sorry Erika! Just consider yourself cought up to Avery!

Melissa and Dave said...

ouch Erika! I hope you feel better soon.

jrushing said...

Ouchie! Tell her that she better be a good girl or Santa will bring her another black eye for Christmas!! Hee Hee

Liz said...

Glad that you were able to spend some time with Dan home. I hope Erika heals from her injuries and has better luck so you don't have to face Social Services;).

Rob said...

Gone are the good old days when either parents or teachers could beat the kids and no one questioned it! The kids were SUPPOSED to be punished...

Erika, if you can read this note from your swollen eye, then just know that you can stay at our house anytime, and I won't care at all if you jump over the couch. Carson's welcome, too.

Happy holidays!