14 November 2007




A Fable (by Lynne Anderson, retold by Me)

At midnight on November 13th a little four year old boy crept out of bed, tip-toed down the stairs, opened the front door of our house and ran down the dimly lit street never to be seen here again. We would miss that little four year old boy..... At about the same time, coming in the opposite direction down the street, ran a little five year old boy. He opened our front door, tip-toed up the stairs, and crawled into bed.... When we went in to wake our little boy up he was a little different...we couldn't tell what the difference was but it was there.

The End
(sniff, sniff)

Dad ALWAYS told this story to us as we grew up and I always thought it was so funny, until I had my own kids! Now it reminds me of how quickly a year can pass and what little time we really have with these little souls. So as I thought of my little four year old running away forever I get a little teary...thus the "sniff, sniff".

So HAPPY BIRTHDAY Carson! Carson turned 5 yesterday and is very pleased with himself. He informed me he is much older because now he has to hold up ALL the fingers on his hand. He was also ready to throw away many of his old toys, "because they are for four-year-olds!".

15 comments:

D said...

Karalee sent me your blog. It's wonderful! That is such a fun fable. It is amazing how fast they grow. My Kaden will be 2 in February. He is becoming more and more capable and assertive of his personality everyday. It's amazing and a little bittersweet- mostly sweet.

NY Barney Family said...

What an adorable picture of you and your kids. It is true how fast they grow - I have a middle schooler - yikes! But I will forever be 25!

NY Barney Family said...

Happy Birthday, Carson - from, Cameron!

Melissa and Dave said...

Happy Birthday Carson! We love you so much and are so excited for the person you are becoming. We hope you had a fantastic birhtday.

p.s. I love that picture Jenn!

love,
Miss, Dave and Jackson

The Roses said...

Great story! So true, since it goes by pretty fast.

Lisa said...

happy birthday Carson! Great picture of you all!

Liz said...

Happy Birthday Carson. I hope you had a great one. Very cute picture.

cjdustin said...

Happy Birthday Carson. We love you and think you are a very handsome 5 year old!

jrushing said...

Happy happy birthday!

Amanda Neilson said...

So true, so true. The kids often drive me crazy, but when i think about how quickly the day will come when they'll be off on their own and I'll be an old lady it makes me so bummed. I want them to stay little forever.

Michelle Williams said...

Hi Jen, Sheila told me what a beautifully written blog you have, that you should write a book no less. Thought you'd like to hear what was being said behind your back! :) So far I must agree too!! I also love reading about you and your fam. So I hope it's ok if I barge in here. Now I can keep my beedy little eye on you and feel the love! It does make me feel connected, almost like living next door somehow, cool huh, love blogs!

I can also attest to the fact that someday the kids do slip out of the house and are replaced with this whole different person, all grown up with a life and thankfully a BLOG of their own!! So we can still feel the LOVE! :)

Michelle Williams (cuz to you)

Michelle Williams said...

Hi Jen, Sheila told me what a beautifully written blog you have, that you should write a book no less. Thought you'd like to hear what was being said behind your back! :) So far I must agree too!! I also love reading about you and your fam. So I hope it's ok if I barge in here. Now I can keep my beedy little eye on you and feel the love! It does make me feel connected, almost like living next door somehow, cool huh, love blogs!

I can also attest to the fact that someday the kids do slip out of the house and are replaced with this whole different person, all grown up with a life and thankfully a BLOG of their own!! So we can still feel the LOVE! :)

Michelle Williams (cuz to you)

PS Sorry my google account signs me as mommio for my kids' blogs. Sigh, well it works for them!

Michelle Williams said...

PS Sorry, my google account signs me as mommio for my kid's blogs. Sigh, well it works for them!!

Love you, Michelle Williams

Michelle Williams said...

My kids are really laughing right now at my sad computer skills! And yes I hear you giggle too!! HEHEHE

Michelle

jenafeldman said...

I am so happy to see so many family members here!!! Thank you and i'll do my best to stay caught up ;)