05 November 2008

23-30 My Feet...

How are your feet?

***First, feet are gross...

I will explain....I have crazy feet. They are flat, but usually I am fine with that. My toes are shaped strangely, but I can't do much about that either. About 2 years ago I started having pain in my left foot when I would run. Then the pain became increasingly frequent until now when it is almost unbearable at times. Finally, in August I had enough and saw a Podiatrist. After a thorough examination and an MRI it was determined that I have a large Neuroma in between my 2nd and 3rd toes on my left foot.

Neuroma: A neuroma is an enlarged, inflamed nerve mass occurring most commonly at the ball of the foot near the 3rd and 4th toes. Symptoms usually consist of a sharp, stabbing or burning pain under the ball of the foot with radiating pain into the toes. In severe cases, a "clicking" sensation can be felt while walking. This is the nerve mass moving between the adjacent metatarsals.

My neuroma is a little larger than my pinkie finger. I had a round of shots that were horribly painful as well as useless. Last resort? Surgery to remove it. Unfortunately, my Dr. is going to be out of commission until the end of November and I don't want to do it over the holidays particularly so I am looking at having it done in early January. I am hopeful that it will relieve the pain and allow me to get back to a more active life!

We went to Disney World in September and I was really worried that it would be tough, but it wasn't as bad as I anticipated as long as I wore a certain pair of shoes and alternated with my flip-flops. Thanks Liz for asking and hopefully it will be better soon. (I know you can sympathize...)

4 comments:

cjdustin said...

Okay so I found out that my trainer has the same problem. It started after she had kids. She swears by "keen" shoes. It's the only kind she wears. She has keens for running too. Maybe you should try some.

Michelle Williams said...

Ouch, ouch,OUCH!!! Poor baby, chronic pain is the worst. I can relate! I've had tendenitis in my arms and neck for 3 years now. Tons of physical thearapy has helped and one shot in my right elbow has me just about right finally. But I still have to be so careful about lifting and carrying things. Maria's little guy (10 months) has thunder thighs, tummy and head, he is only little in terms of height and is so adorable with his cherubic smile, strawberry red hair and big blue eyes that I CRAVE holding him and carrying him around. But just Too quickly I am right back where I started with the pain. It is an unjust world!

Michelle Williams said...

I walso wear dansko clogs and feel so much better for it! Maybe....

Liz said...

Glad that you were not miserable at Disney World. Good luck with the surgery in January, you will have to keep me posted.