30 October 2008

17-30 The Great Pumpkin Experiment

The past few years we have been paying through the nose for pumpkins that were rotten before Halloween. Thus prompted "The Great Pumpkin Experiment". We carefully purchased pumpkin seeds last spring, planted them indoors til they were a vine, transplanted the small plants, watered and fertilized them, and then 85% of them were promptly eaten by these: (I should clarify that they ate the vines before the pumpkins were fully ripe)



But luckily we were able to salvage three cute little pumpkins from the havoc of the squash bugs. The were medium, small medium, and small....just right for my three little people (OK, Erika, you aren't "little" anymore)



We opened them up and found them FULL of seeds. I think it was about 5 cups of seeds from three small pumpkins. I decided on the spot we must roast them for a treat. So we carefully separated "guts" from seeds and then I seasoned them and popped them in the oven.



The kids quickly drew out their designs (I assisted Cal of course) and we carved them up lickety split. Carson insisted on scary eyes and mouth and Erika wanted hers to look "old fashioned". It is scary to think that the pumpkins I carved as a kid, i.e. no fancy patterns, are "old fashioned". Every time we popped a piece out from Carson's pumpkin he would take a bite of it and declare it to be delicious. He then concluded he would like me to send raw pumpkin slices to school for his snack time. Hmmm.... Cal's little pumpkin had to represent him so we included one of his favorite accessories on his pumpkin.



What do you think....was our experiment a success or failure???

6 comments:

cjdustin said...

Definitely SUCCESS! We didn't get to the pumpkin carving this year. Oh well. We will enjoy everyone else's. Like yours!

jrushing said...

So funny! I think that those pumpkins weren't small at all! I think that pumpkin carving can me a fun thing! (only if you canput away the OCD trait for the experience) So I declare as the other did SUCCESS!!

Jenn said...

Smart thinking! I totally empathize with the outrageous pumpkin costs back there. The pumpkins look perfect; the jack-o-lanterns adorable. I love the pacifier -- Anna is a complete addict. (I actually got her to go paci-free for 2 whole hours today.)

Melissa and Dave said...

They are perfect! I wish I could find such cute pumpkins here. I love carving pumpkins, especially since Jack and Dave like to pull all of the "guts" out.

Erin said...

I'm totally impressed that you grew those pumpkins yourself! The designs are very cute!

Mary Lee (Collet) Smith said...

I love the carvings especially the pacifier on Cals