27 December 2007

The true meaning of "Crackers"




First of all we had a wonderful Christmas! The kids enjoyed their presents, Dan was home ALL day, and we were able to spend Christmas Eve with good friends - all the ingredients for a great holiday. Also, we wanted to thank all of you that sent us holiday greetings the old-fashioned way! For the second year in a row I have missed getting a letter and card together in the mail in time for Christmas. Needless to say this will be one of my New Year's Resolutions.

Well, I should have written this post a long time ago, but I have had a hard time grasping the reality of it myself. Our neat, tidy, little family of four will become a wild party of five this spring. Yes, we can't believe it either. No, this was NOT planned. Yes, I have been very sick. No, we did not save a stitch of clothing or a particle of gear from our other kids. (We were done, remember?)

This past fall (while stripping lead paint and using toxic chemicals to remove paint), I thought I had the flu...at first. And then after a week or so of denial I confirmed my lurking suspicion! I am now a little over 17 weeks into the ORDEAL and am still coming to grips with it all. I have had several serious problems with my past pregnancies (big reason we stopped at 2) that will most likely recur this time around, but we are hoping for the best. So far I have only been plagued with lots of morning sickness and shock.

After weeks of letting it sink in, we finally told our kids and families before Christmas. The kids are VERY excited and have already nicknamed the baby "Crackers." As in, "Wouldn't Crackers look so cute in this outfit", or "Shouldn't we hang a stocking for Crackers?", or "When will Crackers be born?" (est. June 6 arrival) I must say it is appropriate considering that was all I could eat for some time. Carson has also informed several people that his mom has "Crackers" in her belly. I didn't bother to explain ; ) So now you all know the true meaning of "Crackers".

We are beginning to get excited about having a new little baby in our home and hope that all goes well over the next few months. I am sure I will need plenty of advice on gear, names, and easing the aches and pains, but I will save all of that for future posts when I am ready to deal with it. We are blessed to have this new little one and are grateful that you can't always plan your life.

15 comments:

Chrissy said...

Wow! Congratulations! I can't believe you are already 17 weeks! Sorry you are feeling awful. This is a great excuse to relax and put your feet up! I'm so excited for you!

Courtney said...

Congratulations! This little baby is lucky to get to come into such a great family...if you need ANYTHING at all please let me know!

Lisa said...

WOW!!! I am so excited for you!!!!! HOORAY!!!! CONGRATS!!!

cjdustin said...

We are so happy for you guys. We can't wait to see "crackers"! I hope you do okay with the pregnancy. We love you

Melissa and Dave said...

yay! We are ecstatic for you guys. It will be great to have a new cousin. I vote for scooby ;)

love you!

Jenn said...

Hee, hee, hee. Yeah!!!! The news is out!!!! Now it seems real. At least the whole pregnancy won't seem **quite** as long since you've waited to tell people. I wish I were there to help you when you need it. There are airplanes though -- thank goodness!

D said...

Congrats! That is very exciting! Hope this pregnancy is easier than past ones.

Michelle Williams said...

I really relate to the feeling that you are not in control of your own life! Samantha was a huge surprise and I was mad for quite a while. She was concieved just weeks after a major operation for an ectopic pregnancy that was also a surprise. So it was a dangerous time to get pregnant. Not to mention the kidney trouble I had with each pregnancy.
But the Lord knows your needs, honest and I promise you will end up glad for this wee one in your life.
Congratulations and lots of LOVE!!

Liz said...

You guys are such great parents. I think this baby is very lucky to be coming to such a great family. I hope that you start feeling better soon and all goes well through out the rest of the pregnancy. You will be in our prayers.

Rob said...

Just what the world needs - another Notre Dame fanatic....

Wonderful news, Jenn, congratulations! I wish we were closer to be there for you.

Rob and Jenn

jrushing said...

Congrats again! What cracker are you hopeing for? Multi grain, saltine, or maybe a club?

Suzanne said...

How exciting! I'm sorry to hear you've been sick- I hope you feel better soon!

nyclizzie said...

You had better be careful, that's how Coco Marriott got her name and it stuck, although I think it's a darling name and it fits. I'm so thrilled for you guys. The third one is the cherry on top and you will love seeing your older kids interacting and becoming older siblings. It's so magical seeing a baby through their eyes! xoxo, liz

Jenn S. said...

WOO HOO!!! Congratulations guys, wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy. xoxox

Michelle Garff said...

What great news - Congratulations! I have to admit, you were my role model for the perfect family of four . . . now that you are moving on to five, I am feeling a little pressure!! I wish you all the best and hope that you stay healthy. Relax and make sure to keep the blog up to date with all the details!