16 April 2007

Braving the Elements



Water, water everywhere...yes I have now survived most wild weather. Idaho-COLD, Texas-Tornadoes, Japan-Earthquakes(7.2!!!), New York-Floods! I am not sure which extreme situation I dislike the most. OK, cold weather is probably the easiest, but certainly lasts longest. For sheer shock I would have to say Earthquakes are the most unnerving...although our building in Japan was built for just such occasions and we almost got used to them. Tornadoes...at least you get some warning--we lived in the upstairs apt. and when we asked our landlord about a storm shelter the response was, "Get to know your downstairs neighbors!" Which we did right away. Floods are not fun either. When Dan left for work Sunday afternoon (2:30pm) the basement was dry and tidy (Did I mention I spent Friday hauling everything we had upstairs, downstairs so they could refinish the floors on Monday)...by 3:30 I was bailing water...by 5:30 Dan was on his way back from the City...by 5:45 train service out of the City had been cancelled...by 5:46 small mental breakdown on my part...5:50 turn off the furnace and unplug all appliances to avoid a grizzly death...by 6:30 friends stop by to help out and remind me to phone the fire department (did you know they also pump water OUT)...by 6:40 kids drop cell phone into said flooded basement and neglect to inform me of it...by 8:00 Dan arrives (thanks to a car service) to ankle deep water and a dirty, panicked wife...we begin trying to empty the basement...10:30 we realize the drains in our basement aren't actually open (this is mostly my fault--Dan found them and opened them)...10:45 our basement is draining like a bathtub...11:15 stops draining, but we still have water coming in but it is only 1/2"-1" instead of 5"...12:00am we stop vacuuming water (400+ gallons) and call it quits for the night...

All in all we are VERY lucky and only have the hassle of drying and cleaning all the boxes that were flooded. We didn't lose anything major, I was not electrocuted, and we didn't have our entire basement turned into a pool. We are soooo grateful that it wasn't worse. All in all I would like to move somewhere devoid of extreme weather...Does anyone have directions to the Garden of Eden... (By the way the photo is of a street not far from us in Mamaroneck - NY Times)

6 comments:

Liz said...

You guys sure have had your share of craziness this past while. Hang in there. What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. I don't have directions to Eden for you, but I can give you directions to San Antonio. We have pretty pleasant weather here and would love to have you.

Joe said...

That sucks, but it sounds like it could have been a lot worse. If you ever need a break from NYC, we'd love to host you and the kids for a while.

The Roses said...

You need a vacation after all you've been through!

Suzanne said...

Yes, you do need a break- California would be perfect! (No guarantee on the earthquake part)I am glad that you thought to unplug things and that you are all alive and well after that.
Stay...dry!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, JEN!!!

So glad that there was no major damage! Was it only Mamaroneck? I read Lisa was dealing with a flooded basement as well - yikes!

And you just reminded me to blog about the tornado scare we had last week.

Jaclyn said...

It sounds like your life has been a bit crazy lately. I'm so sorry! What a drag that you had just brought everything downstairs to the basement. You're in need of a tropical vacation! We just had a tornado in Dallas last week, but I'm used to them by now.