06 February 2007

Phast times in Philly....

Those of you who know me know that I am generally OK on my own. Although Dan and I are very close and love to be together, much of our marriage we have had to spend at a distance...a totaling over 2 years of the 11 years we've been married. (Ouch, it is hard to see that we have had to spend that much time apart.) We have become experts at phone calls, e-mail, TM, and good old letter writing. Much of this time apart was due to air force commitments and duties. Well, we left the Air Force to be able to persue a career that would allow for a little more family time. Somehow I didn't get the memo on investment banking hours...Ok, I got the memo, but based on my previous experiences I figured I was an old pro at this type of stuff. I figured the 2-3 years we would spend on banking I could take in stride and that in the end we would be in a better position as a famiy. I was only concerned about Dan and his ability to cope with the job.

Well I have realized I am a wimp! Having him gone on air force duties, serving his country, sacrificing for us all...(ok this is a glorified version)...was easier to bear than having him work 18 hours a day. This weekend he had a little time off, but had to go to Philadelphia to conduct interviews Monday at Wharton for his bank and was taking off on Sunday night. We decided to turn it into a family vacation...that is if less than 24 hours in a hotel can be counted as a vacation. We hopped in the car and visited the whole way down. It was fun to feel like we were escaping our lives and heading back to the place we called "home" for a few years. We checked in and I cranked the heat up to 78 degrees and we relaxed together. It was so great to spend the time together as a family. Monday morning he headed off to work and the kids and I slept in and then had a brief visist with a friend (thanks Kate!) I wish we would have had time for more...I am already plotting for a return visit!

2 comments:

Liz said...

I would love the chance to go back and visit Philadelphia. I am glad you had a nice trip.

Jenn S. said...

How was good ol' Philly? So sorry about Dan's hours - gosh, that has got to be insane for both of you! I'm glad you were able to enjoy your little road trip though. :)