01 March 2010

One good deed deserves another!

As most of you know, living in NY is EXPENSIVE! From fast food to utilities we seem to pay more...and that goes double for babysitters. On average for 3 kids its $10/hr, but it isn't unheard of to pay $15. Because of Dan's work schedule I have to get a babysitter for just about everything. Dr. appointments, back-to-school night, and of course on the rare event he might be off work--date night. Well, for the first 2 1/2 years we were here we forked it over, but as Erika grew older we gradually shifted the workload from paid sitter to sister-sitter. This past year she has literally saved us hundreds of dollars in babysitting. It was hard enough to afford "date night," but to add a $40-$60 babysitting tab used to be too much. Because of her we have had a few nights out and I have been able to go grocery shopping or to the Dr. without toting three kids. In short she is a miracle! The best part? She almost NEVER complains about having to watch "the boys" for us. I still get a sitter sometimes to give her a break, but she has saved us in so many ways this past year.

For months she had been asking to redo her bedroom. Her room was just too "little girl" for her preteen taste. We kept putting her off, but in secret we were plotting an entire room makeover. I was careful to take note of all the bedding and accessories she liked and started slowly purchasing the pieces. It took me a few months to purchase and make all the things we needed. I waited until I had a whole day to pull it off and so on February 6 I finally had a day with all 3 kids gone for almost the entire day! We madly prepped, painted, drilled, mounted, ironed and cleaned. (Dan made it home for the evening to help out.) The result was amazing...she was THRILLED!!!! We were so happy to surprise her with this little thank you... We left some holes for her to fill in pictures and accessories. She has already purchased a lamp to put on her nightstand. The before and after....NOTE: I forgot to snap pics of her room "before" until after I had started moving things around. Her room is TINY and we haven't gotten around to refinishing the doors to her closet or bedroom either - project for another day)





AFTER:





The picture frame wasn't/isn't empty...I ordered this Japanese vintage travel poster (as a nod to her 3 years going to living in Japan) for her but it hadn't arrived on the "reveal" day.




We are so lucky to have such an amazing young lady and we were so excited that we could do something a little special to show her how much we love and appreciate her!

13 comments:

cjdustin said...

That room is adorable! You are lucky to have Erika and she is lucky to have such a nice parents with great taste!

Laura B. said...

Love it!! It's fantastic!! She's darling and you're a GREAT mom!

Melissa and Dave said...

The room looks GREAT!! I love it! Erika is such a great person, she does deserve a little something.

Cherie said...

Wow, I can't believe she is a pre teen already! She was just a toddler when we met you guys. What a beautiful young lady she has become, and the room is perfect.

ww said...

Do I have to be a pre-teen to covet that bedding?! Not to mention the room in its entirety? I love it! And please send Miss Erika to our neck of the woods...I could use some cheap babysitting myself.

Rob said...

We want Erika to come stay with us! Forget the babysitting, Lauren still adores her and idolizes her. All of you should come to Cali - it's almost NY expensive, but with nicer weather...

Michelle Williams said...

WOWie WOW ZOW love it! I would love to redo one of my guest rooms with that very bedspread and I LOVE the Japanese print!! COVET!

What a lovely girl Erika is, glad you could treat her with such a nice surprise.

Liz said...

She is getting so grown up. The room looks great, she must be so happy.

jrushing said...

It is gorgeous! It really is! What a great treat for you Erika! Can't wait to see it in person! And Jenn...please help me decor my house!!! Even if it is to get rid of it!

Denise said...

amazing... both you and her

nyclizzie said...

Jenn, I'm blown away! I love it!!!! Where did that amazing comforter come from? I think I want you to come do my room while I'm gone now. ;-)

Unknown said...

this is so cute!!!!

Anonymous said...

love to get her in bed and fill her holes