22 January 2008

Accident!

*First of all I have to start by accepting TOTAL responsibility for what I am about to explain.

*Second, I feel utterly horrible, unworthy, and irresponsible.

*Third, even with all that said I am not sure what I could have done differently to avoid it.

Yes, I hit a pedestrian with my car today. I am only admitting this in the hopes that by doing so I can somehow feel better. I was backing out of my driveway (slowly - I live on a busy street). I was looking out of my back window and after looking both directions I looked back over my right shoulder again and proceeded slowly backward. I felt a little bump and crank my head a little farther and see that I have just bumped into a person walking down the sidewalk!!! She didn't fall and I jumped out to see if she was OK. I am amazed...I had checked....but anyone who has been to my house knows that there are a row of fairly tall bushes (tall for a Camry) along the driver's side. These bushes are almost close enough to brush the car and she must have been right on the other side when I looked. I felt so bad...

She was startled and said her arm hurt a little (I really was only going 2-3 miles p/hr) but it may have hit her arm just right. I offered my house or my car and she rested in the car. We both decided even though it was "small" we should call the police. They came and took our statements and said that although there didn't appear to be any serious injuries we should call the Ambulance. The Ambulance came and I am trying not to bawl...within minutes of the Ambulance arriving her husband and daughter show up. The husband quiet - but concerned and the daughter IRATE. Everything seemed to be spiraling out of control. Up until that point she told everyone she was a little startled, but OK and suddenly everyone and everything was going crazy! She decided not to go in the Ambulance and to see her own Dr. The daughter was still trying to convince her to get in the Ambulance and go straight to the hospital. Finally, my neighbor (an older Italian lady) came out and said "You be nice to this girl she is pregnant." Whachu doin' to her!" I am dying of worry and now embarrassment but after she spoke, they all stared at me and finally things began to calm down a bit. (I guess a little undeserved sympathy is OK.) The daughter became a little more rational everyone settled down. I apologized for the hundredth time and we all went our separate ways.

I feel so bad, but honestly, I don't know what I would have done differently. I am sure there have been times where I was careless and probably deserved to hit someone, but this was NOT one of those times. I checked both ways and was watching as I backed out, going so slowly....I just feel so bad. I think she truly is fine...I barely hit her and she didn't even fall down. If she is really OK and she is honest I am sure things will be OK, but I still feel like the worst person.

I have never had a speeding ticket and never been the cause of an accident. What a first...

15 comments:

Lisa said...

I am so sorry you had to go through this. I think I would be balling and not know what to do. I am glad everyone is OK. What a bummer of a thing to happen.

Melissa and Dave said...

Jenn! I am so, so sorry. I am sure that everything will turn out alright! Knowing you, I'm sure you were not careless. The people involved will see that is wasn't as big of a deal as they first thought. Try not to worry or feel bad, it will be ok.

cjdustin said...

So glad she was okay but since when do you walk behind cars that are backing out? In my humble opinion you are not totally to blame. I do feel badly for the woman though. Maybe you should send flowers?

The Professor said...

A: walk behind a moving car and expect them to see you and stop.

B: Don't pay attention to your surroundings (especially moving vehicles!!!)

Either way...(sorry to be so blunt, but...)you're stupid and deserve to get hit by a car.

The only reason she said her arm hurt (and her daughter made a big deal), is because she knows if she makes a big deal out of it, she can milk her/your insurance for a few grand.

Pathetic if you ask me!

This is David, if you didn't already know.

nyclizzie said...

Jen!!! I am so sorry. Let's just hope that she (or her daughter) isn't litigious. Of course she was startled, you were too, but the fact that her daughter was overreacting and causing hysteria just makes me roll my eyes. Good thing your neighbor came to your rescue to put things into perspective. If I had to be hit by anyone, I would want it to be sweet caring YOU! Let me know if you need any diversion! xoxo

Michelle Williams said...

Wow, so scary for you!! You were doing what you were supposed to, what was she doing? It cuts both ways.
I have a bank of bamboo at the edge of my drive and often don't pay enough attention because it is not a busy street! Ouch, this could easily happen to me.

Here is a cheer up. I sent your card web site to several friends and one friend just got her order of cards and said they were delightful! She is planning on telling her friends about you. :)

Love you!

NY Barney Family said...

I am so sorry! What a crazy thing to have happen! Don't blame yourself - it is more her fault - who crosses a blind driveway without looking???

Anonymous said...

That stinks!! But how can you be walking along and not notice a car backing out of a driveway soon enough to get out of the way? As long as she's not a crazy it should blow over quickly - love you!

mae said...

unbeleiveable! I'm so sorry. You'll laugh about it later I'm sure. Maybe on Sunday School!

Bingy's blog said...

You poor thing!! Don't you worry!! You did everything right....Hey, use your pregnancy for anything and everything!
Inger
p.s. I found a picture of Dan, Jim, Travis &our friend Garrett at the Shimoda Salmon festival! Remember that? Maybe I'll post it...

Suzanne said...

I feel for you Jenn. I was rear ended last year and even though there was nothing I could have done different I still felt awful and doubted myself like crazy (and cried a lot). Writing it all out is smart because when/if you have to retell it you have a "statement" prepared and don't have to think it through over and over. I am really sorry that you are going through all this!

Jenn said...

Okay....truth be told Jenn, I've also hit a pedestrian, so I know what you're feeling here (you may have already known this). It'll all work out. Call me if you want to hash it out.

Amanda Neilson said...

That is so awful! I'm so sorry- and I wholeheartedly agree that the "pedestrian" is equally to blame. It will all work out OK, but I'm sure it made for a stressful couple of days, and nobody needs that. ( I think it's nothing that a really fun night of BINGO can't fix- right?)

Anonymous said...

To me this sounds like a setup for an insurance payout. Unless you were backup up faster than the norm, there is no reason she shouldn't have seen you and moved out of the way. David's comments hit the mark perfectly... I'd be more angry regarding their reaction than upset for it happening!

Lynita said...

I can't believe how crazy that was! I am with you there is nothing more you could have done to prevent it, if anything she should have been more careful. I am glad your neighbor came out and said something, no one needs to be treated unfairly when it is an ACCIDENT, you even less. I am proud of you for accepting responsibility, something this lady probably should have done. Don't feel bad, I am sure this was inevitable due to poor visibility and busy street!