29 April 2007

The "throne" room...




A charming entrance....I love the doorknobs in this house! After alot of cleaning and even more steel wool they look very nice. (OK, I love the LOOK of the doorknobs, but they do not work very well)





Because of the location of the doorway, traditional furniture style sinks or cabinets were too large to fit in without relocating the doorway. We chose not to do so because Weschester Co. requires an architect for this! We put in a nice pedestal sink that looks great even if it isn't the most useful in the only full bathroom a family of four has. I love the mirror cabinet--a story initself which I shall retell at a later date. (Note the cup, toothbrush, and soap left out from our morning routine...I love being a housekeeper...er I mean mom!)



The tub used to face a different direction and the toilet was on the other wall. We reconfigured the layout, raised the window, tiled the tub surround, and added a nice deep tub for soaking. I like the look of crisp white subway tile--hard to keep looking pristine, but for now it is one of the things I love.



This is the view of the side opposite the sink taken from the tub. We have a dark cabinet to match the mirror and we have a double towel bar. It is hard to tell in the pics, but the color scheme is a warm cocoa brown (looks almost grey here), white, and blue-green with espresso finish wood. I don't love the shower curtain I have, but after searching form my vision and being unable to find what I wanted in my price range I settled for a solid color. It is great for now, but nothing special.



I love the bead board and moulding...Dan really amazed me on this project. The bead board was tongue and groove, there were complicated cuts, bizarre angles, and NOTHING was "square". He did a great job and every time I see it I think of him and how his talents never cease to amaze me.



I love the fact that I HAVE a toilet tissue holder. We went without one for about 6 months and it is wonderful to have one back! I like this one in particular because I installed it! The bead board made the installation of the towel and tissue bars a challenge, but I figured it out and I think even if our kids used them as monkey bars they would stay put!



This floor is one of my favorite parts...It looks a lot like the original tile that we removed which is also one of the reasons we chose it. What I really like about it is that it was installed by Dan and one of our dear friends from school (Rob Stanger). He claimed to have very little home improvement skills, but we put him right to work and the two of them finished the floor at one am! They did a great job (it is a little tricky to get level) and I love having parts of my house that remind me of the friends we have.



I love fluffy towels folded or rolled nicely all ready to be used. I usually have a "nothing on the back of the toilet" rule (don't ask...) but there is such a small amount of space and storage in the bathroom that they ended up here. I love the way they look! I haven't put up any other decorations yet...that will come later.



I think this is Dan's favorite part of the bathroom. After months of "showering" in from a pipe jutting out of the wall, or in a tub of cold water (while the new water heater was being installed)...he really enjoys his shower!

11 comments:

Chrissy said...

WOW! You guys are amazing! To think, this is just one of the rooms of your house that you have remodeled! You guys are so brave! Just think how much you will love it when it's finally done! (And how much more it's worth to sell!!)

jrushing said...

It looks even more accomplished since I saw it a few months ago! Good job...see it is not that hard! ha ha

Courtney said...

It looks fabulous! You and Dan did a great job. I LOVE the colors and I am glad you finally got a mirror that wasn't all banged up! I can't wait to see it all in person in a few months!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! So cute, I love it!

Liz said...

Great job guys. It must be so nice to have a clean nice bathroom to use.

Jenn S. said...

Beautiful Jen! I'm so glad that it turned out just the way that you wanted it to - love it.

Love chocolate brown and blue together - beautiful!

The Roses said...

Your pictures are amazing! I love your new renovations.

jenafeldman said...

thanks guys--I am pretty pleased even if I did grump and groan the a little along the way...I'll even promise not to point out all the mistakes and goofs you can't see in the pics, ha, ha ;)

Jaclyn said...

AMAZING!! I can't believe you guys did that! I am so impressed. I absolutely *love* the colors you picked out. Ben and I are in the process of looking to buy a house. We discuss buying a fixer-upper, but I don't know if I can do it. However, the thought of making it what we really want is appealing.

Joe said...

I'm a big fan of glass/crystal doorknobs too. The bathroom looks great--right out of a magazine. But we didn't expect anything less from you. Good job!

Lisa said...

Wow that is AMAZING - great work!!! Want to come over and work on my bathroom ;)