19 January 2007

The beginning of the.....beginning

So here we are...I am not going to attempt to recap the last few months...honestly I would like to forget them. I started this blog as a sort of diary of our life here in NY--thanks Dad! So many of our friends and family have wondered what we are doing and what our life is like out here so in an attempt to fill in the gaps I have started this "diary" of what it is we do out here.

Here we are six months into a three month renovation and we are just over half-way done. I think there are many who told us that is how it would be, but in our naive and opptomistic way we forged ahead. (You can all begin the"I told you so's") Unfortunately, those who know me know that I am either supremely opptomistic or utterly pesimistic. I have found that this is not the best personality combination for a smooth home renovation. The first few months were such a whirlwind that I can hardly recall everything we did, but the novelty has worn off and we are finally in the grip of real winter weather and my pesimistic side has taken over completely. So instead of feeling optomistic that we finally have counter-tops in our kitchen (no plumbing yet) I feel blue that it has taken so long. It is no use telling me this is how long it always is...logically I know all the panaceas and comforting phrases...but my brain stubbornly refuses to accept them.

Ok, enough wallowing....it really is shaping up. Our bathroom is done (nearly-that is), we have heat, I almost have a kitchen, and it should only be a few weeks more until I can begin to unpack. (No, we have not unpacked our home yet....) I realized it is the beginning of the beginning for us!

4 comments:

Liz said...

What an adventure. I am sure it will be beautiful when you are done and just the way you want it.

Mikala said...

I agree with Liz, everything you do turns our fabulous! How are you by the way? I'm so glad you have a blog so I can keep up with you! I've been pondering starting one myself.

Mikala said...

by the way, mafmiller is Mikala.

Lisa said...

Hooray - you have a blog!